COVID-19: Higher Education Resource Center
Get the latest on closures, emergency-planning resources, helpful tips, and resources from experts
We are here to help.
Our hearts go out to families, friends, and people around the world as we all struggle to adapt to the unique challenge ahead of us. We believe that times of great need require service, sacrifice, and commitment. We owe it to our learners, schools, and communities to do our part. Our goal is to help as many organizations as we can and work within our robust network to find additional support for those whom we cannot directly assist. Please reach out if you have any specific questions and/or needs.
Institutional Change and Impact Map
What impact has COVID-19 had on colleges and their staff, faculty, and students? This map tracks the latest decisions by U.S. Higher Education institutions responding directly to the shifting paradigm introduced by the virus. Maps are updated twice a day and reflect the latest information that we have collected. If you have information that is not reflected in the map that you’d like to share, send us a message here.
Colleges and universities impacted by COVID-19
Institutions changing admissions requirements
(extending decision deadlines, waiving deposit fees, moving to be test-optional, and abandoning minimum grade requirements, etc.)
Institutions changing hiring and staffing
(hiring freezes, furlough, and layoffs)
Institutions changing admissions requirements and hiring/staffing
Institutions changing plans for Fall 2020 and beyond
(planning for virtual or hybrid delivery, adopting a new learning model, adjusting payment options for students, etc.)
Institutions closing permanently
(Not accepting new students in the Fall)
Higher Education Town Halls
Thank you to all who attended our curated discussions with education experts, leaders, and practitioners covering COVID-19 related topics such as crisis leadership, remote learning, and supporting students. You can access recordings and Q&A discussions below. Stay tuned for more content this summer!
Town Hall Recordings
- 4/30/20 Next Gen/Flexible Learning Models
- 4/23/20 Meeting the Needs of Our Most Vulnerable Learners
- 4/17/20 Innovative Solutions to Increasing Supply of Healthcare Providers
- 4/9/20 Career Services and College Recruiting in COVID-19
- 4/2/20 Higher Ed’s Role in Serving in Times of Crisis
- 3/26/20 Lessons from Digitally-Forward Institutions
- 3/19/20 Leading from Crisis to Constructive Turbulence
Entangled Solutions is helping to provide new resources, information, and insights on the impact of COVID-19 on the education landscape. Our team of practitioners and subject-matter experts are providing real-time guidance to support crisis mitigation and business continuity across fields.
Leadership Through Crisis
- The Reckoning is Now: Planning for Higher Ed’s New Abnormal: Patrick Erker discusses ways higher education institutions can acclimate to new norms and prepare for the fall.
- Leading with Values in a Time of Crisis: Phil Weinberg explains five key tenets of value-driven leadership.
- Constructive Turbulence: Driving Vision through Virus and Volatility: Bob Wise shares how higher-ed leaders can use this moment to drive positive long-term change.
- Change Federal Rules so Colleges can Survive and Thrive: Michael Horn and Paul Freedman make the case for DOE emergency approvals for online degree programs.
- COVID-19 Leadership Checklist: Bob Wise shares a checklist to help higher education leaders address the coronavirus crisis.
- Disruption is Here Now: Entangled Solutions Partners Matthew Daniel and Kristin Sharp discuss scenario planning and talent forecasting to help talent development professionals respond to and prepare for future disruption.
- Student insights: Takeaways for university leaders: Sophie McGuinness, Grace Fowler, Kate Kraft, and Lisa McIntyre-Hite, PhD share what students have found most challenging and most useful during campus closures.
- Creating Seamless Credit Transfer: Michael Horn co-authored a white paper focused on how higher education can help learners earn the credentials they need from the providers best suited to serve them.
- The Strategic Merger Opportunity: Michael Horn discusses how mergers can be a way to strengthen higher education in a consolidating landscape.
- COVID-19’s Long-Term Impacts on Education in 2020 and Beyond: Michael Horn and Entangled experts forecast COVID-19’s potential impact on education, including K-12, higher ed, and corporate learning.
- Virtual Facilitation Guide: Lisa McIntyre-Hite and Grace Fowler created a comprehensive guide to help teachers and faculty plan and facilitate synchronous remote learning, including: best practices, theory, resources, and templates.
- Successful Remote Teaching Needs More than Tech and Content: Doug Lynch makes the case for reimagining content as institutions move to remote teaching.
- COVID-19 Response Guided Questions & Checklist: Lisa McIntyre-Hite, PhD, shares guided questions and checklists institutions can use as they discuss making the move to distance education. We will continue to update this list as the situation evolves.
- FutureU Podcast Episode 51: The Quick Pivot to Remote Education: Jeff Selingo and Michael Horn discuss turning a residential campus to a virtual one overnight.
- Covid-19 Boost to Online Learning May Backfire: Michael Horn shares his perspective on why quick moves to online learning may be detrimental to the digital learning movement.
Resources from the Field
We will continue to update this page with the latest resources from the field, including crowd-sourced links and repositories related to online teaching and learning, emergency planning, and more.
- CARES Act allocations from the Department of Education: Outline of how much each higher education institution will receive from Federal Emergency Stimulus Funding.
- COVID Response from Whiteboard Advisors: Look here for ongoing analysis of institutional allocations, Congressional Stimulus action, and emerging news on state and district budgets.
Education and Work Trends
- Public Viewpoint: COVID-19 Work and Education Survey from Strada Education Network: This weekly dashboard from Strada shares insights from an ongoing national survey measuring “the impact of the pandemic on Americans’ lives, work, and education”.
- Responding to the COVID-19 Crisis: A Survey of College and University Presidents from Inside Higher Ed: IHE shares findings from a survey of institutional leaders on their priorities, both near- and long-term.
- Beyond the Food Pantry: Supporting #RealCollege Students During COVID19 from Sara Goldrick-Rab at the Hope Center: For school leaders seeking resources on meeting student needs, the Hope Center has published recommendations on how institutions can best provide support to students during the pandemic.
- Emergency Remote Teaching Checklist from Quality Matters: Quality Matters created this free checklist to assist Higher Ed and K-12 in emergency remote teaching.
- Remote Teaching Resources for Business Continuity: Daniel Stanford, Director of Faculty Development and Technology Innovation at DePaul University links to emergency plans from a wide variety of institutions.
- Online Learning Consortium: Includes helpful links to webinars and curated resources to help institutions move online.